The IRS issued new notice 2021-21 as of March 29, 2021. This notice provides relief from tax deadlines to the individuals. A summary of this notice is as follows:
- Affected taxpayers are:
- Any person with a Federal income tax return filed on Form 1040 series, or a Federal income tax payment reported on one of these forms.
- Any person who are required to file and furnish Form 5498 series.
- Any individual with a period of limitations to file a claim for credit or refund of Federal income tax that absent this notice would expire on or after April 15, 2021, and before May 17, 2021.
- The due date postpones to May 17, 2021 for following:
- Filing Federal income tax returns in the Form 1040 series and making Federal income tax payments in connection with one of these forms having an original due date of April 15, 2021.
(No necessary to file any form to obtain this relief)
- 2020 contributions to their individual retirement arrangements (IRAs and Roth IRAs), health savings accounts (HSAs), Archer Medical Savings Accounts (Archer MSAs), and Coverdell education savings accounts (Coverdell ESAs).
- Reporting and payment of the 10-percent additional tax on amounts includible in gross income from 2020 distributions from IRAs or workplace-based retirement plans.
- The due date postpones to June 30, 2021 for following:
- Filing and furnishing the Form 5498 series.
- This due date postponement is not affected on:
- Businesses and any other type of taxpayer who file Federal income tax returns on forms outside of the Form 1040 series.
- The payment or deposit of any other type of Federal tax, including Federal estimated income tax payments.
- Filing of any Federal return other than the Form 1040 series and the Form 5498 series for the 2020 taxable year.
- Individuals with a period of limitations to file a claim for credit or refund of Federal income tax for tax forms other than the Form 1040 series and the Form 1040-X expiring on or after April 15, 2021, and before May 17, 2021.
California has also postponed the income tax filing and payment due date for individuals (those who file forms 540, 540EZ, and 540NR) for the tax year 2020 tax year from April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021.